--- TRANSFORM WITH US
After more than 30 years, we are updating The Arsenal Mall to truly reflect the people and sprit of Watertown. In November 2013, Boylston Properties and The Wilder Companies announced The Arsenal Project – a collaborative effort to revitalize this iconic property.
During the past three years, including scores of official and informal meetings with residents and community leaders, we have worked to tailor the uses and shape of this historic area into what is feasible and desirable for Watertown.
On January 11, 2017 the Watertown Planning Board unanimously approved the Master Plan Special Permit for Arsenal Yards – the result of this planning journey to which many individuals and officials contributed their time and input into what is feasible and desirable for Watertown.
What is Arsenal Yards?
- As an enclosed mall since 1983, the Arsenal property is being re-envisioned as Arsenal Yards – a place where living, shopping, dining & entertainment will take place. By intertwining the past and the present, the project will re-expose the two original Arsenal buildings and create an inviting urban street environment with attractive new buildings.
- A dynamic mixed-use destination will be created adding activity and energy to the neighborhood. To see renderings, please visit: www.courb.co/arsenal
Why did you choose the name Arsenal Yards?
- It reflects the historic role played by the Watertown Arsenal. It projects the scope of this grand expanse of the Arsenal area that once encompassed the mall, the Arsenal Park and the athenahealth campus as one large U.S. government property. Now Arsenal Yards can fit with its adjacent neighbors in an exciting new place: a collaboration of our team and the Watertown community.
Will the Arsenal Mall be closing?
- The mall will not be closing. The two original Arsenal buildings will remain open and the stores in these buildings will continue to operate. Eventually these two buildings will be renovated. The middle section of the mall will be removed and replaced with new buildings.
When will Arsenal Yards become a reality?
- We hope to begin work this year and welcome shoppers and diners for Fall 2018. The project will be completed in phases over the course of a couple of years.
Will there be more community meetings?
- Yes, additional community meetings will be scheduled in late winter / early spring. Meeting dates will be posted on the website: www.courb.co/arsenal
How can I stay informed?
- The dedicated website is the source for information and redevelopment updates: www.courb.co/arsenal.
As always, if you have further questions, please stop by and ask for General Manager, Allyson Reed.
Updated February 2017